Timeless Truths: Jesus in the Book of John-Part 2



4. Jesus in the Book of John-Part 2
January 28, 2016

The book of John is a look into the mission of Jesus during his earthly ministry. Today we look at Chapter 17 and summarize the implications of John’s  message. All quotations are from NIV.

In Chapter 17, Jesus is praying on behalf or all his disciples over all of time.
17:20-21.    I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The highlighted phrase can also be translated for all generations to come. That means you and me.
This prayer models the same GodàJesusàUs chain as in other places in John. This highlighted phase indicates that we will be with He and God.

Summary
  • Our mission begins right where we are by loving one another as God loves Jesus.
  • If that loving doesn’t happen, we have no testimony that Jesus was sent to us by God.
  • It is by unity in the church that outsiders know that God sent His Son.
  • We cannot be a fashion-ary church. We must be a mission-ary church. By first loving on another as Jesus loves us and God loves Him.


Thanks to Michael Lodhal, Ph.D. for the teachings used in Jesus in John blogs.
Next Thursday's Timeless Truths Series: “That My Name might be there.”
Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback!

Comments

Popular Posts