#BibleLesson Timeless Truths: You’ve got mail? (Part 2)

This was posted first on May 19, 2016. Some parts have been edited for this post.



The focus of this Timeless Truth is Psalm 119, the longest book in the Bible. Each segment begins with a letter in the Hebrew alphabet in sequence. The first word in each stanza of a segment begins with the same letter that is the title of that segment  

Last week we investigated two of eight “You Got …” items found in Psalm 119. Here they are:
1.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… JOY
2.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… REFRESHMENT

This week we’ll look at "You've Gots" numbers three through eight.

Unless otherwise referenced, supporting Scripture verses are from Psalm 119 [The Message]. The red text emphasizes the “You’ve Got” component. Yellow highlights the term used for Scripture in the verse.

3.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… COURAGE
28 My sad life's dilapidated, a falling-down barn; build me up again by your Word. & 116 Take my side as you promised; I'll live then for sure. Don't disappoint all my grand hopes.

  • Reading God’s Word refills our courage reservoir. 
  • The Bible is our gift. It helps us remember how God helped in the past. And, the Bible helps equip us for the fight.


4.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… WISDOM
99 I've even become smarter than my teachers since I've pondered and absorbed your counsel. & 105 By your words I can see where I'm going; they throw a beam of light on my dark path.

  • Verse 105 in the King James and other versions of the Bible admonishes us to hide the Word of God in our hearts. The more familiar you are with Scripture, the easier it is to see the light it provides.
  • Here’s an important consideration: The promise in verse 105 is light for the path we’re on, not a promise to provide a map or calendar for our use.


5.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… HELP
42 Then I'll be able to stand up to mockery because I trusted your Word.

  • This verse provides assurance that God wants to help us help those around us by sharing our faith in Him with them.
  • If you memorize Scripture you’ll have the help you need when you need it.


6.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… DISCERNMENT
104 With your instruction, I understand life; that's why I hate false propaganda. & 130 Break open your words, let the light shine out, let ordinary people see the meaning.

  • As you see in these verses, discernment is a valuable attribute in everyday life.
  • Through Scripture, we can help those around us see the lies tossed about so freely in our worlds and see the meaning of the words found in the Bible and the misguided thinking in so many of the words that bombard us on a daily basis.


7.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… HOPE
50 These words hold me up in bad times; yes, your promises rejuvenate me. & 76 Oh, love me - and right now! - hold me tight! just the way you promised.

  • Even in bad times, God’s Words inspire.
  • The hope God provides is instantaneous and doesn’t depend on anything but trusting belief in His Word.


8.  WITH GOD’S WORD… YOU’VE GOT… DIRECTION
133 Steady my steps with your Word of promise so nothing malign gets the better of me.

  • God’s Words are like trail markers (blazes) made by those following the path.
  • We are kept on the straight and narrow by these directional signs.


All of these “You’ve Gots” are ours IF we read and follow God’s Word.

Thanks to Rev. Tom Gobel for the central teachings used in this blog.


SEO: Bible study, Old Testament, thinking, knowing God

 

 

Follow me on 

Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chuck-downing-97595266/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor

 

My website is: www.crdowning.com

Email: crd.author@gmail.com

 

My Blogs

Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

 

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

 

I appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

 

Comments

Popular Posts