Expressions of Faith. Hebrews Ch 8. An Undivided Heart

This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
 Hebrews 8:10
I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. Then they will follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. They will be my people, and I will be their God.
 Ezekiel 11:19-20

An Undivided Heart

Hebrews 8:10 is a liberal paraphrase of Ezekiel’s words. Verse 10 is a reminder of God’s promise of a new covenant between Him and His people.

It’s part of series of “quotes” in verses 8-12 that provide an overview to help make a point.

These types of paraphrased quotes of the Old Testament are common in New Testament letters.

I like the full text of Ezekiel.
Israel’s history is a cyclical pattern that describes the problem with a heart that is not fully committed to God.
  1. A period of following God and His commands
  2. A period of drifting away
  3. A period of oppression by outsiders
  4. A period of repentance.

<Repeat #1-#4 indefinitely.>

Ezekiel’s prophesy of the new covenant promises an end to that cycle.
How?
It takes an undivided heart
a heart that is committed to following God.


People in Ezekiel’s’ time struggled with their divided hearts.
(Old Covenant)
Too many Christians do that today
(New Covenant)


Ezekiel did have access to the Holy Spirit. In the Old Testament, the Holy Spirit descended on an individual to empower him/her for a specific task.
(Old Covenant)
We have unlimited access to the Holy Spirit
(New Covenant)


Ask the Holy Spirit to remove all dividers from your heart.
Accept and believe that has been done.

Then, and only then, can you follow God faithfully . . .
with an undivided heart.
Just like God promised Ezekiel!

Next Expression of Faith: The New Covenant

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback!

Comments

Popular Posts