Expressions of Faith. An incorrect reading of Philippians 4:8


Today’s Expressions of Faith post crosses a self-imposed boundary. 

Thursday’s Timeless Truths are my reconstructed versions of sermons I’ve heard and took notes on over the years.

Expressions of Faith are ALMOST always my own ideas and interpretations.

Those thoughts are an integration of original thoughts and things I’ve learned. 

Bottom line: Thursdays are reconstructions. Friday’s are interpretations.

Over the course of the over 45-years I taught high school and college, hundreds of OUTSTANDING STUDENTS blessed my life.
  • Doctors, 
  • Pastors, 
  • Mothers, 
  • Fathers, 
  • Police Officers, 
  • Military Personnel, 
  • Teachers, 
  • Construction Workers, 
  • Clerks, 
  • Entrepreneurs… 

The list goes past 5500.

Today’s post is by Amanda Pinder. 
When she was my student, she was Amanda Carroll.
  • She was an excellent student.
  • Although she transferred to a different high school and graduated from there, she came back to Great Oak High and asked me for a letter of recommendation.

She graduated from the University of California, San Diego where she was a leader for UCSD College YoungLife.

The Georgia Aquarium hired her as a DOLPHIN TRAINER. 
  • It was her dream job.
  • It’s also a job with It’s also a job with high supply and low demand.

God called her to become part of a church plant in Washington, D.C.
  • She accepted that call and worked at Grace Capital City as an Apprentice.
  • Yeah, she left her dream job to follow God.

I’m fortunate to call her my friend. 
The following is all-Amanda.
When I read it, I hear her voice speaking through the words.

Read on.
It will bless you.
Thank you, Amanda

And now, 
An incorrect reading of Philippians 4:8

Photo by Liam Simpson on Unsplash

“Finally, brothers and sisters, dwell on nothing but lies, focus on what is scandalous, think about what is broken, abide in what is immoral, stay with what is disagreeable, linger in what is abominable-if anything does not meet your expectations or disgraces our standards-think about such things.” Phil 4:8* [Amanda Pinder Version]

GAH! 
Reading this sounds SO SILLY. 
So why do I find myself doing it ALL THE TIME?! 

What DOES Philippians 4:8 say we should think about?
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
Philippians 4:8 NIV

We should think about 
  • the ways we’re succeeding, 
  • that which is excellent or praiseworthy, 
  • and dwelling in truth, purity, and loveliness. 

When we beat ourselves up for everything we 
  • SHOULD have done, 
  • COULD have learned, 
  • MIGHT have said, 

we’re not fixing our minds on the correct things. 

I’ve found myself in such a slump the past few weeks, stuck in my own unmet expectations and negative feelings of lack and sadness. 

This verse hit me hard today, and I felt God’s encouragement to 
  • stop focusing on everything I’m NOT doing 
  • and focus on what is excellent and praiseworthy, 
  • the areas where I’m succeeding.


That typically has something to do with Him working in and through me in ways far greater than I could ever hope for or imagine!

Prince or Princess of the Most High King, GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK. 

God is for you. 
He desires to see you succeed in everything. 
And, He has a plan for your life. 

Trust Him and lean into that which is excellent and praiseworthy.


"deep sigh" [by Amanda]


Amanda would appreciate hearing from you by commenting here in Blogger or through my email.

I hope you benefitted from this post as much as I did
In fact, I think so highly of this post that...

I'm asking Amanda to be a periodic contributor.

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!


Comments

Popular Posts