#BibleStudy Signs and Wonders – Miracle #9 – Jesus Walks on Water – Matthew 14:22-36. 12-05-2021 -- Discussion


Signs and Wonders – Miracles

Sunday School Lesson Series

Based on Signs and Wonders: Thirteen Miracles from the Life of Christ 

Serendipity House ©1998 - ISBN: 1-57494-107-0

 

Until we finish, my Sunday school class is studying Miracles of Jesus.

Below are highlights from this week’s class discussion.

 

Miracle #9 – Jesus Walks on Water – Matthew 14:22-36

The study book calls v27, “the language of God.” Why?

  • It is the term God uses as His name in the Old Testament.

“It is I” is literally “I AM.” List other places I AM is used as God’s name.

  • Exodus 3:14. God uses I AM with Moses. 
  • It also is used in Matthew 9:2 and Isaiah 43:10; 51:12.

What made Peter think he could walk on water?

  • “If He can do it, I can do it!”
  • He had faith.
  • He was impetuous.

What’s the significance of the words Peter uses to ask permission?”

  • To get permission to do what Jesus does.
  • I can’t do it on my own.
  • He recognized Jesus does non-mortal things.

Why didn’t other disciples follow Peter’s example?

  • They took a “wait and see what happens” stance.

If one disciple would have, who would have been? 

  • Nathanial.

Why him?

  • It follows from what we know about him when he learns about Jesus in John 1:43-51.

Would you have followed Peter out of the boat? 

  • The only “for sure yes.” …

Why?

  • … He is a retired Navy man who works on the waterfront.

Why not?

  • The consensus was NOT A CHANCE.


We Got This Far This Week

 

 

SEO: Jesus' ministry, New Testament, thinking, knowing God

 

 

Follow me on 

Facebook (Minimally): https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor

 

Emailcrd.author@gmail.com

 

My Blogs

Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

 

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

 

I appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

 

Comments

Popular Posts