#Christianity Pastor Quits Baseball on Eve of Opening Day!

Photo by Austris Augusts on Unsplash
Imagine the stir caused by this headline in a local paper:


Pastor Quits Baseball on Eve of Opening Day!
Twelve reasons why a local pastor stopped attending games

In a recent spontaneous press conference, Defender O'thefaith,  Pastor of a local church, presented what he called "my definitive list" of reasons he determined to stop attended major league baseball games while emphasizing that his decision is NOT related to the current COVID-19 crisis.

  1. Every time I went to a game, they asked for money.
  2. The people sitting around me were not very friendly.
  3. The seats were usually too hard and always uncomfortable.
  4. Not one coach of a home team visited me at my home.
  5. The umpire made at least one decision in every game that I did not agree with.
  6. There were hypocrites at every event, many seemed to be more concerned with what was going on in the stands than on the field.
  7. Some baseball games sometimes when extra innings. In all cases, I was late getting home.
  8. The public address system in all the games played some songs I didn't know.
  9. The games are scheduled at times when I want to do other things.
  10. My parents took me to too many games when I was growing up.
  11. Since I've read books on baseball, I feel more qualified to coach than many coaches based on the in-game decisions they made.
  12. I don't want to take my children to games because I want them to choose for themselves what sports they like.

After a brief question and answer period, the pastor ended the press conference with this statement,

"I apologize to all those people I might have offended who used the same excuses for not coming to church. The excuses seemed to make just as much sense in this situation."

Perhaps you have excuses for not joining a Christian fellowship not given here. 

  • If so, write them down, then look at them critically.
  • If your excuses sound similar to some of the twelve above, ask God to help you find a fellowship of believers.

Then, start attending and look for the good things going on!

Adapted from the Bethel Baptist Church Sunday bulletin 1/26/1986

SEO: Church attendance, excuses

Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!


Comments

Popular Posts