#BibleStudy Thoughts on Study Questions from James Ch 5 on 10/4/2020


For as many Sundays as needed, my Sunday school class will explore the context and content of the practical content of the Letter from James. 

 

This is Wednesday. What follows are bits and pieces of the discussion in class on the questions posted two days ago.

 

If you miss getting the questions on Mondays, I invite you to go back. Copy, and paste the questions from those posts into a word.docx and fill in blanks or answer questions on your own. You can compare your thoughts to those of my class members each Wednesday. If your answers don’t match my class’s answers, that doesn’t make your answers wrong. If you like more information about what was said in class, email me at the address at the end of this post.

 

I hope you enjoy exploring this practical book along with us. Each Sunday's discussion ends at the last question in black print. Photos included are of the "whiteboard" list I generated during the discussion and are nothing but time savers for me.

 

Questions in this print were answered in previous weeks.

 

I invite you to check this blog site on Friday when my Expressions of Faith posts are from James. Here's last week's link's URL.

 

You’re also invited back to these "Questions" blogs next week!

 

Chapter 5

Verses 7-11

Why does James consider those who persevere under suffering to be blessed? 

  • They will be rewarded in heaven. 
  • REMEMBER JESUS STORY OF THE RICH MAN AND LAZARUS. (Luke 16:19-27)

What encouragement can we get from Job, Jeremiah, and the Psalmist? 

  • There is blessing in steadfastness.
  • Keep on keeping one.
  • Today there is an "I want it now" mentality, but farmers haven't changed their understanding of persevenance. 

Jeremiah 29:11-14

New International Version

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.[a] I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

  • Where steadfastness is lacking, society degrades.
  • There is value in waiting for things.

Psalm 130:5-6

New International Version

5 I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,
    and in his word I put my hope.
6 I wait for the Lord
    more than watchmen wait for the morning,
    more than watchmen wait for the morning.


How can we acquire patience? 

  • Pray and wait.
  • Suffer.
  • Decide to do it.
  • Look into the future.
  • Some people are born with patience.

Verses 12-16

V12: Why does this verse follow the section on patience? 

  • If you're going through trials, you may swear.
  • Oath taking was abused, it became profanity for many, and clergy used oath-taking to control
  • Jesus talks about this

Matthew 5:33-37

New International Version

33 “Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ 34 But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36 And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37 All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.[a

  • Oaths for military, doctors, and to testify in court are good oaths, but not all oaths are good.

This is a close paraphrase of the words of Jesus. What is the reason for this warning? 

James 5:12

The Message

12 And since you know that he cares, let your language show it. Don’t add words like “I swear to God” to your own words. Don’t show your impatience by concocting oaths to hurry up God. Just say yes or no. Just say what is true. That way, your language can’t be used against you.

  • Judgment is the focus. Don't sin and be condemned.
  • Use true and accurate speech.
  • Promises they did not keep haunt people.
  • Live your life so people trust you.
  • Don't confuse situations by going on and on

What kind of "swearing" is being considered here? 

  • Swearing for extra emphasis. It's not needed if your speech is always honest and true.
Is all "swearing" bad? 

  • Probably not. Consider things like wedding vows, oaths of office, etc.

Why is this such a common problem? 

  • A lack of spiritual commitment.

What motivates people to do this? 

  1. Anger
  2. Emphasis

 

WE GOT THIS FAR THIS WEEK.

 

SEO: Bible study, New Testament, thinking, knowing God

 

Follow me on

Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/chuck-downing-97595266/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor

 

My website is: www.crdowning.com

Email: crd.author@gmail.com

 

My Blogs

Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

 

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

 

I appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

 

Comments

Popular Posts