#BibleStudy Timeless Truths. Singleness of Purpose - Philippians 1

 

12 Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters,[b] that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard[c] and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. 14 And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear. 


15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.


Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.[d] 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Philippians 1:12-21

 

  • According to Genesis  6, Noah did everything God told him to do. His purpose, however, was more than building the ark. The ark was NOT his single purpose.
  • In 1 Kings 18+, all that happens to Elijah was for a single purpose.
  • Daniel 3 clearly indicates the single purpose of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.

 

Philippians

  • Paul is in chains, yet he writes with great joy in spite of his situation.
  • His singlemindedness was to preach the Gospel.
  • V20. Whether he lives or died, Paul will exhort Christ.

 

PAULS CIRCUMSTANCES WERE

  • Confinement, including chains.
  • Hardship, including beatings.
  • Trial, including a guilty judgment.
  • Unfair circumstances, both real and perceived.

 

Paul is able to see every pirouette both for its own beauty and its place in the whole performance. 

  • V19. Even though Paul is Type A and very talented, he knows that the prayers of saints and God’s Spirit are the two support beams in his life.
  • Paul’s singleness of purpose did not come from any of his personal characteristics. It came from prayers and the Holy Spirit.

 

HOW CAN YOU FIND YOUR SINGLE PURPOSE?

Answer these questions.

  1. How do I need to rearrange my priorities?
  2. Do I need to have people pray for me?

 

Thanks to Pastor Beverly Cook for the primary teaching in this post.

 

SEO: Bible study, New Testament, thinking, knowing God

 

Follow me on 

Twitter(Mininimally): @CRDowningAuthor

Facebook (Not much more than minimally): https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor

 

My website is: www.crdowning.com

Email: crd.author@gmail.com

 

My Blogs

Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too. Occasional posts on Mondays or Tuesdays. http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

 

My Christian Context. Posts Monday/Wednesday of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  

 

I appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts