Timeless Truths. Joshua, the Person



After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west. 5 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.

7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:1-9

Joshua was born in Egypt.
  • He saw God’s power shown through Moses.
  • He was Moses’ aide (Exodus 17).
  • He was Moses’ servant/ right-hand man (Exodus 24+)
  • He was one of the spies who explored Canaan, and one of the two who voted to invade at that time.
  • His name is changed to what can be called the Old Testament version of Jesus.


Joshua’s loyalty is constant throughout his life.

Verses 1-2
  • Joshua must have mourned Moses’ death.
  • He could have succumbed to fear as he thought about past events
  • the battle where he helped hold Moses’ arms up,
  • coming back from exploring Canaan,
  • wandering in the desert for forty years.
  • He must have wondered how he could be more persuasive.


Verse 3+
God’s response is almost matter-of-fact.
I will give you every place where you set your foot

This ignited a sense of loyalty DIRECTLY to God.

Each of God’s encouragements and instructions had to bring back memories of past events, for example, the golden calf.

Joshua realized that NOW was the time to act!

Jesus voices similar ideas in Luke when He speaks of not looking back while plowing. (Luke 17:7)

Paul reiterates the concept with the idea of pressing on to what God has for us. (Philippians 3:14)

YOU MUST FORGET WHAT IS BEHIND YOU AND MOVE FORWARD!

What’s in it for you?

  • You have many ways to choose and many areas from which to choose.
  • Are you looking at the giants and fortified cities in areas where you should be acting in obedience?

or

  • Are you celebrating acts of obedience to God?



Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9
God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”
Hebrews 13:5-6

Special thanks to Pastor Jim Stewart for the primary teachings in this post.


The next Timeless Truth is Living at the Intersection… Daniel 1

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com


I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts