#BibleLesson Timeless Truths. Covenant Living and Faithful Giving - Part 1



Nearly 2ooo verses in the Bible refer to money/giving. 

That’s more than any other topic but God!

At least 20 of 30 major Parables of Jesus address your attitude toward possessions. 

An estimated one of every seven verses in the Gospels deals with money. 
  
Covenant living includes faithful giving that begins with tithing

The amount given is not critical, the proportion is the key

Five Biblical reasons for being a tither: 
1. Obedience to God 
  • Genesis 14:20; 28:22 describes how Abraham and Jacob tithed before the law. 
20 And praise be to God Most High,
    who delivered your enemies into your hand.”
Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
22 and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”
  • Leviticus 27:30 - The Law declared "A tithe of everything ... belongs to the Lord." 
30 A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord.
  • Malachi 3:10 explains the law. Everyone is to tithe. 
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.
  •  Matthew 23:23 shows you that our Lord Jesus expects everyone to tithe. 
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
  •  I Corinthians 16:2 teaches that God continues to expect you to tithe. 
On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

Tithing is submitting to God.

2. Love of God 
  • Matthew 6: 19-24 reminds you 
"where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." 
  • John 14:15 Jesus said, 
"If you love me, keep my commandments." 

Tithing is loving God.

3. Gratitude to God 
  • Psalm 116: 12-14 reminds you that since you have received so much, you should respond by giving much! 
12 What shall I return to the Lord
    for all his goodness to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
    and call on the name of the Lord.
14 I will fulfill my vows to the Lord
    in the presence of all his people.
  • You have received God's Son, His salvation, His presence, His blessings, and you will receive His heaven ... 
  • How can you think of returning to Him less than a tithe? 
Tithing is thanking God.

Next week is the conclusion of this Timeless Truth series. 


Thanks to Dr. Dan Copp for the primary teachings in this post.


SEO: Bible study, Money New Testament, thinking, knowing God


Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss
My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  
I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts