Expressions of Faith. A personal look at some of John Wesley's Theology


This post is taking the slot of my Acts-based Expressions of Faith post for this week, although it is related directly to last week's EOF. Posts commenting on Acts resume in two weeks.

Acts 13:48 contains the phrase “all who were appointed for eternal life.”
“Appointed” is a term that’s caused division among Christians for centuries.
In Romans 8, Paul uses “foreknew” and “predestined,” terms similar in generating conflict.

John Calvin lived in the 16th Century.
John Wesley lived in the 18th Century.
While parts of their theologies are compatible, there are five specific points where there is SIGNIFICANT difference in their interpretation of concepts.

I open with this quote from Dr. Robert Smith, a long-time professor at Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego, California. I asked him for the Nazarene “take” on predestination while my Sunday school class was studying Romans. It's the second paragraph of the whole quote I posted last week.

Predestination in the "Wesleyan" Theology of the Church of the Nazarene
From a Wesleyan (and Nazarene) perspective God is no less powerful or mighty than in other any theological system.  Wesley, however, did not focus on God's grace as sovereign; rather, grace was defined as prevenient (the grace that precedes any experience of salvation; grace that woos humanity to God). This powerful God has restricted divine power by allowing human to accept or reject saving grace.  Thus, God's grace may be rejected; it is not irresistible.  For a Wesleyan, free grace does not challenge the character of God, for God has provided the means of salvation "by grace…through faith" (Ephesians 2:8).  Further, for a Wesleyan, the refusal of God's grace tells us more about humanity than it does about the character of God.  Within the scheme of Wesleyan theology, sin has the ability to separate humanity from God, even after one has accepted the grace of God.  Thus, salvation can be lost, something unthinkable in a strict Calvinistic theology system.


Today, I’m pulling selected sentences out and commenting on them. From this point forward, whatever text is not highlighted is my opinion, reaction, or comment. Blame only me if you disagree.

Wesley, however, did not focus on God’s grace as sovereign; rather, grace was defined as prevenient (the grace that precedes any experience of salvation; grace that woos humanity to God).

  This difference in the focus on God’s grace is significant. Wesley viewed God as a Father who wanted His children to WANT to be part of the family. 
  God wants a relationship with you...
...but only if you want a relationship with Him!

This powerful God has restricted divine power by allowing humans to accept or reject saving grace

  A single sentence. That’s all the above is. However, it shows God’s loving spirit more than anything else I know. 
  My parents loved me enough to set boundaries, but also enough to let me decide how to handle those boundaries. For that reason, I wanted to obey my parents.
  I didn’t fear my father or mother. I loved them because it was obvious they loved me. They loved me enough that they allowed me to make my major life choices.
  To Wesley’s thinking, God’s like that.

Within the scheme of Wesleyan theology, sin has the ability to separate humanity from God, even after one has accepted the grace of God.

  I said that my parents allow me to make life choices. Wesley’s interpretation of God is the same. You make choices every day. Some are good. Others are not.
  While you don’t always get rewarded for making a good choice, making a bad choice almost always generates a negative experience in your life. 
  The single most important in life is accepting God’s gracious offer of salvation. God removes your sins and your desire to sin from your heart and His accounting book when you accept Christ as your Saviour.
BUT...
  Remember that God loves you so much that He allows you to make choices! You have the freedom to choose to sin and break your relationship with God whenever you choose.

Thus, salvation can be lost, something unthinkable in a strict Calvinistic theology system.

  When you disobey God--SIN--the result is the loss of your salvation. The Bible is clear on this. 
  • Good deeds aren’t enough
  • Reading the Bible isn’t enough.
  • Giving time and money to your church isn’t enough.
  
  The only enough that leads to salvation is wanting a relationship with God enough, to confess that you are a sinner and ask for salvation.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. 
John 1:8-10


I am glad that my belief system has a human choice to follow God as a key theological cornerstone.

Regardless of your theological bent, I pray that your life and your testimony reflect a God of love who is

“…not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” 2 Peter 3:9b

If you haven’t yet followed John’s admonition, or 
if you made a choice to sin after once having a relationship with God,

accept God’s gift of salvation again today!


Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com


I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts