#BibleStudy Expressions of Faith. Acts 22. Misguided Devotion



“I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city. I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors. I was just as zealous for God as any of you are today. I persecuted the followers of this Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison, as the high priest and all the Council can themselves testify. I even obtained letters from them to their associates in Damascus, and went there to bring these people as prisoners to Jerusalem to be punished.
Acts 22:3-5 
Paul gives a snapshot of his Jewishness in v3.
  • Typical of Paul, it's an “in your face” synopsis.
He goes on to describe his first response to Jesus’ message.
  • He does not sugarcoat his actions.
  • “Zealous” falls short of describing Paul’s commitment to Judaism.
The world is full of people who are passionately devoted to a religion or cause.
  • Often the cause champion is far from Christianity.
Satan uses humanity’s need to belong to trap people in a web of misrepresentation and deceit.
  • Mass shootings, suicide bombers, militant reactions to peaceful overtures are all too common.
  • Media reports these misguided examples of devotion every day.
What’s the solution?
It’s the same as it was in 35 AD.
  • A relationship with Jesus has been and will always be the only solution to misguided devotion.
Paul met Jesus in dramatic fashion on the road to Damascus.
  • While that can happen today, the chances are it won’t.
  • That’s not because God doesn’t want people to follow Him.
  • Dramatic conversions instigated by God are not the primary plan. 
This is
19 Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”Amen. 
Matthew 28:19-20 (WEB)
That’s every Christian’s commission.
Is it your commission?

SEO: Bible study, New Testament, thinking, knowing God


Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor 

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
·       Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.
I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts