Thoughts on Hebrews Study Questions from 9/10

HEBREWS STUDY QUESTIONS

My Sunday School Life Group is studying Hebrews. Every Monday, I post questions that were discussed the day before in Sunday School. I invite you to ponder/think about them and jot down your thoughts.

On Wednesdays, I post some of the ideas that came up in the Life Group's discussion for you to consider and compare with your thoughts.  


These questions were discussed in my Life Group yesterday. Take time to reflect on them. I'll post thoughts from the class discussion on We



Chapter 6
Vv 1-12

What is impossible? Why is it impossible?
What. Restoring a relationship with God after you've had one and broken it off. "Backsliding" is a term used in many evangelical churches. This verse implies that if that happens, it's permanent.
Why. Besides shame, the idea of rebellion against God was discussed.

What are characteristics that make it impossible to be brought back to repentance?
Disgracing Christ. 
Holding Christ in contempt. 
You already know God and decide to reject Him.
Sinning against the Holy Spirit. This is the only sin Christ describes as unpardonable. 
Matthew 12:31-32 says, "And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." 

Luke 12:10 says, "And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."
The reason this is included is that it was pointed out that you can't separate Christ and the Holy Spirit.
I am not a theologian. I've reviewed several sources, including John Wesley's Sermon #86, "A Call to Backsliders." My advice is to do all you know to do every day to stay close to Christ and you will avoid this situation.

If “God is not willing that any should perish,” what’s up with vv4-6a?


What does v6b mean? How did they do that?
How/Why would you fall away from the list in these verses?
I admit to allowing the discussion to "free-run" here. I offer two photos of commentary which were presented by class members.
I've got to remember to flatten the page before I take the photo!



Verses 7-8 present a not so subtle analogy of what?See the commentary immediately above this question.
The analogy itself can be summarized as: bearing fruit or not bearing fruit. OR "Rain falls and things grow."
Ultimately, we decided that we must let God's Word sink in so we can cultivate and produce a good crop!


We stopped here this week.

If you'd like a PDF of the pages of questions in table form with room for you to write answers, email me at 

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback as a comment on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts