#BibleStudy Expressions of Faith. Acts 26. Almost Persuaded


  • Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. (KJV)
  • Then Agrippa said to Paul, "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?" (NIV)
  • But Agrippa did answer: “Keep this up much longer and you’ll make a Christian out of me!” (MSG)

 Acts  26:28
Ever been persuaded to do something only to regret it later?
  • I have.
  • Once it was a car at a car auction, and I persuaded myself to buy what turned out to be a lemon.

These words in today's Scripture by King Agrippa are his answer to Paul’s question about his knowledge of Scripture.
Although it’s not the best translation based on current resources, I like the King James Version best.

Agrippa knew enough about Judaism to understand what Paul was preaching.
  • He had enough knowledge to understand the importance of salvation.
  • Paul gave him the opportunity to seek salvation.
  • He didn't need more persuasion as most newer translations phrase his response.

Paul turns to Agrippa, seeking common ground in acceptance of the Old Testament prophets' authority. But Agrippa will not be drawn into a discussion of spiritual matters. His sophisticated avoidance of the slightly embarrassing prospect of discussing matters of religion in public is expressed in the dismissive: "Do you want to convince me that in such a short time you have made me a Christian?"
But Paul won't let him off the hook. Time is not the issue. Paul doesn't care how long it takes. So important is this salvation for Agrippa and all who hear Paul that he prays God they may receive it, "become what he is." Then, with a touch of humor or nobility, he adds, Except for these chains.
As the commentary quoted above points out, Agrippa turns down the opportunity to be forgiven.

How about you?
Are you almost persuaded to ask Jesus to save you?

If that’s the case, now is the best time to change that.

If you’ve already been persuaded, 
“… praise God for his glorious grace, for the free gift he gave [you] in his dear Son!”
Ephesians 1:6

SEO: Bible study, New Testament, thinking, knowing God

Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss
My Christian Context.Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/ 
I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts