#BibleStudy Timeless Truths. Intimacy with God - Relationship


Longing after God is not the same as intimacy with God.
A relationship is the real beginning of intimacy.

This post uses the analogy of courtship and marriage to illustrate creating a healthy RELATIONSHIP.

COURTSHIP PHASES.
  • CHECK OUT. Not much contact o conversation. Mostly observing and evaluating.
  • HANG OUT. Spending informal time together.
  • GET TO KNOW YOU. There is movement from "fun together" to "who are you?"
  • DEFINE THE RELATIONSHIP. Intentional discussion of which public direction is the relationship headed. Will the relationship continue or not...
  • DESPERATION. Each partner is desperate to be together with the other partner.
  • ENGAGEMENT. Formalizing the relationship. Requires asking and accepting the offer. Frequently involves hesitation by one or both parties.

To the Church in Laodicea - Revelation 3:14-22

14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.
19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

THE WEDDING.
  • All courtship ends at each step listed above before it continues. This is true all the way to the wedding.
  • Pledging commitment is long-term.
  • Certain types of intimacy cannot be experienced outside the marriage contract.
  1. Jesus is seeking you out.
  2. It is an invitation for anyone and everyone.
  3. You have opened the door (said "I do" to God). To do this, you must.

  • Make an honest evaluation of yourself - Verses 15-17
  • Turn around. Stop doing what you've been doing that's out of whack. Verse 19
  • Invite Jesus into your life-the open door in verse 20.
  • If you do this, GOD PROMISES INTIMACY! Even share a meal as in verse 20.

Thanks to Dr. David Runion for the primary teaching in this post.

SEO: Bible study, New Testament, Christian living, knowing God
  
Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss

My Christian Context. Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/  


I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts