Thoughts on Questions on Acts Ch 20 from 6/23


My Sunday school class/Life Group is studying the book of Acts. I posted these questions this Monday and encouraged you to jot your thoughts down.
This is Wednesday. This post consists of some comments from the class discussion.

If you’d like a PDF file of the questions, email me at crd.author@gmail.com.

There is a timeline of Paul's life at the end of the post. 

Chapter 20

Vv 7-12

How would you like to attend one of Paul’s sermons?
  • Staying up until midnight for a long message that might have included a meal was not all that appealing.
I’m not sure why all the details about Eutychus were included. Watta ya tink?
  • The use of oil lamps would have made the 3rd-floor smokey and oxygen deprived, which would contribute to sleepiness. 
  • Luke was a doctor, so the event had special meaning.
  • Included to show the power of the Holy Spirit. The young man was pronounced dead and was brought back to life.
Why would “God let this happen”?

  • We all have free will. 
  • The young man chose to sit in the window.
  • It's just life.
  • To demonstrate the power of prayer.

Vv 13-38

Why do you think Paul avoided going back to Ephesus at this time?
  • To save time. He wants to go to Jerusalem by Pentecost.
  • There was a riot the last time he was in Ephasus.
Vv 17-35 is considered Paul’s farewell address to the mission field. Why would he do this?
  • He knew he'd never see them again.
  • He had a pastor's heart for his people, they were important to him.
  • To give the big picture of the Gospel and reinforce key doctrinal points.
What does Paul do in vv 18-21?
Reminders
  • Jew/Gentile issue
  • He always preaced the truth.
How does Paul describe his expectations for his Jerusalem visit?

  • Pentecost was THE key event in early church history. Now, Christmas and Easter are emphasized far more. Hmmm.
  • He was compelled by the Holy Spirit.
Why include vv 25-27?
  • He passes the torch of missionary evangelism.
  • "I gave you chances and information, now it's up to you!"
“And so this is good-bye. You’re not going to see me again, nor I you, you whom I have gone among for so long proclaiming the news of God’s inaugurated kingdom. I’ve done my best for you, given you my all, held back nothing of God’s will for you. 20:25-27 MSG

What specific instructions does Paul give in vv 28-31? 
From those verses in The Messsage
  1. Now it’s up to you
  2. Be on your toes—both for yourselves and your congregation of sheep
  3. The Holy Spirit has put you in charge of these people—God’s people they are—to guard and protect them. God himself thought they were worth dying for.
  4. “I know that as soon as I’m gone, vicious wolves are going to show up and rip into this flock, men from your very own ranks twisting words so as to seduce disciples into following them instead of Jesus. 
  5. So stay awake and keep up your guard
  6. Remember those three years I kept at it with you, never letting up, pouring my heart out with you, one after another.
How many of those are still applicable today? Explain.

  • All of them!
How does Paul end his message?

  • It's more blessed to give than to receive.



 We got this far this week. 

Here's a link to a great Timeline of the Apostle Paul. I recommend bookmarking it. 


SEOs: Bible, Acts, Bible study, questions and answers

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!


Comments

Popular Posts