#Bible Timeless Truths: Ideal Family or Idol Family? (Part 2)




“Therefore everyone who hears these words of min and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”
Jesus speaking in Matthew 7:24 [NIV]

46 While he was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers showed up. They were outside trying to get a message to him. 47 Someone told Jesus, "Your mother and brothers are out here, wanting to speak with you." 48 Jesus didn't respond directly, but said, "Who do you think my mother and brothers are?" 49 He then stretched out his hand toward his disciples. "Look closely. These are my mother and brothers. 50 Obedience is thicker than blood. The person who obeys my heavenly Father's will is my brother and sister and mother."
Matthew 12:46-50 [The Message]

It’s important to understand that no family can meet all your needs.

Your family might be dysfunctional. In other words, your family is functioning dangerously. While we’re not considering the term idol as a synonym for dysfunctional in this blog, the terms both describe families that are far from ideal. If you are in such a situation, follow the six reminders and see what God does in the life of your family.

God’s choice is for our families to be Ideal Families.

Matthew 12:46-50 provides six reminders on how to keep from developing an Idol Family while developing an Ideal Family.

Last week we looked at three reminders.
1.    Find the FOCUS: Stick to It.
2.   Ask for Help: Daily.
3.   Make Worship a Priority: Weekly (at least)
This week we finish with reminders number 4-6.

4.  Invest in Eternity: Through Service
Serve the Lord with gladness. Psalm 100:2 [NIV]
Service is most often disguised as hard work!
  • When we serve others, we are serving God.
  • Serving God is an eternal investment.

What follows is often called “The Parable of the Sheep and Goats.” In it Jesus explains the importance of serving without regard of whom we provide service. Red text supports the point of Reminder #4.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” Matthew 25:34-46 [NIV]

5.  Let Go: Let God
Train up a child in the way he should go. Even when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6 [NASB]
We have to let go of children so the child can become what God wants, not what we want.
  • Train children in the God’s way.
  • This is best done gradually, over the entire childhood.


6.  Years are not as Important as Days.
Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12 [NIV]
We most remember specific days.
  • Spend time daily with your family.
  • When we emphasize days, the years tend to take care of themselves.
SEO: Bible study, New Testament, thinking, knowing God

Thanks to Dr. Keith Newman for essential teachings in this post. Click here to read current thoughts of Dr. Newman.

Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor 

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs

I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts