Thoughts on Hebrews Study Questions from 8/13

HEBREWS STUDY QUESTIONS

My Sunday School Life Group is studying Hebrews. Every Monday, I post questions that were discussed the day before in Sunday School. I invite you to ponder/think about them and jot down your thoughts.

On Wednesdays, I post some of the ideas that came up in the Life Group's discussion for you to consider and compare with your thoughts.  

Make yourself comfortable, this is most likely going to be a year-long experience.

These questions were discussed in my Life Group yesterday. Take time to reflect on them. I'll post thoughts from the class discussion on We


Chapter 5
Vv 1-10

V3. Oops! What do we find out about human High Priests in this verse?

  • They are sinners, too. 
  • They have no choice but to offer sacrifices for themselves and the people. 
  • They are subject to weakness.

Not really in verse 3, but . . . Human High Priests were called by God. Human High Priests were descendants of Aaron.

How did Christ become “High Priest?”

He was appointed by God. He was God's Son. 

What does the quote of Psalms 2:7 mean?

Oddly, all I have written is "quote all of Psalm 2:7." Here it is
 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. (KJV) because of what follows. I know we said something, but I can't find it so, here's John Wesley's commentary on this verse:
[7] I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
The decree — The will and appointment of God concerning this.
My sin — Which tho' it may in some sort be said to, or of David, yet much more properly belongs to Christ, who is commonly known by this title both in the Old and New Testament, and to whom this title is expressly appropriated by the holy ghost, who is the best interpreter of his own words, Acts 13:33Hebrews 1:5.
This day — This may be understood either, 1. Of his eternal generation. This day, from all eternity, which is well described by this day, because in eternity there is no succession, no [yesterday,] no [tomorrow,] but it is all as one continued day or moment without change or flux; or, 2. Of the manifestation of Christ's eternal son-ship in time; which was done both in his birth and life, when his being the son of God was demonstrated by the testimony of the angel, Luke 1:32, and of God the Father, Matthew 3:1717:5, and by his own words and works; and in his resurrection, which seems to be here mainly intended, of which day this very place is expounded, Acts 13:33. When Christ was in a most solemn manner declared to be the son of God with power, Romans 1:4.

Genesis 14:11-20 provides some of Melchizedek’s background. Just who was he? How is that relevant? 
More on Mel in Ch 7.
We'll explore Mel much deeper in Ch 7. Here's a photo of the main thoughts for this week. I was tough on them and made them stick to just this chapter's reference.

He met Abraham as King of Salem (Jerusalem in Christ's time) and Priest of "God Most High."
He was the first High Priest.
The bread and wine he offers Abraham is a preview of communion.
While some claim that Melchizedek is Jesus before His incarnation, that's not supported by the text. (https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/356-was-melchizedek-the-preincarnate-christ)
As a "type of Christ" (see early discussions in Hebrews for what "type" means),  Melchizedek represented God/The Messiah.

Why did Jesus have to pray? 

  • Because God was the only one that could save Him from the cross. 
  • Communication with the Father as the Son--that's us, too! 
  • He wanted to pray. Psalm 22:1-3 (My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
  • He needed to know that God heard Him.


If He didn’t have to pray, why did He?

  • He prayed in Gethsemane because, as a Jew, He didn't want to die a Gentile's death--on a cross. 
  • Jesus' human side wanted to converse with God. 
  • To give credit to the Father. 


We stopped here this week.

If you'd like a PDF of the pages of questions in table form with room for you to write answers, email me at 

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback as a comment on Blogger!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts