Thoughts on Hebrews Study Questions from 8/20

HEBREWS STUDY QUESTIONS

My Sunday School Life Group is studying Hebrews. Every Monday, I post questions that were discussed the day before in Sunday School. I invite you to ponder/think about them and jot down your thoughts.

On Wednesdays, I post some of the ideas that came up in the Life Group's discussion for you to consider and compare with your thoughts.  

Make yourself comfortable, this is most likely going to be a year-long experience.

These questions were discussed in my Life Group yesterday. Take time to reflect on them. I'll post thoughts from the class discussion on We


Chapter 5
Vv 1-14


What was the key to God’s “hearing” of those prayers? 
Reverence. Reverent submission. Fear/Awe. Godly fear. Good relationship with God. Piety/Devoutness. 
How’s that key relate to us?
Christ in Gethsemane. Physically fearful/humbled. The school of suffering leads to God's purpose. We must be willing to go through whatever God gives us because He knows best.

I’m not sure I like v8. What are your thoughts?
Jesus wasn't shielded from suffering. As a human child, Jesus had to learn discipline. Christ's temptations in the desert. Obedience to death was a new experience. Jesus staying behind in the Temple at age 13 demonstrates His humanity.

Together verses 7-8 show that

  • We must suffer.
  • Christ is fully human.
  • God hears us when we are in obedience to His will.


After doing all this “earthly stuff,” what designation did Jesus receive from God?
High Priest. <This is like a "gimme" putt.>

What is the overall theme of these four verses?
Grow up! Maturity. "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

To what are the elementary teachings compared? 
How’s that make you feel? 
What does “slow to learn” mean?
All three questions are combined in this photo of my notes during class.

  • The Hebrews to whom this letter was written had chosen to live on doctrinal milk. 
  • Because you repent and are free from sin does not mean you have no responsibility to learn. "I don't want to know because that increases my responsibility."
  • One commentary indicated that the audience was most Hebrews who had converted and were now considering returning to Judaism--"They didn't like what they heard."
  • Two possible themes for verses 11-12: Tough Love. Wake up!"

We stopped here this week.

If you'd like a PDF of the pages of questions in table form with room for you to write answers, email me at 

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback as a comment on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts