#Bible #Lesson Timeless Truths: Spiritual Lessons I Learned from My Dog




I hope all dogs go to heaven. I'm not convinced of the theological soundness of that position, but this Timeless Truths blog presents three spiritual truths that a relationship with a dog fostered in me. This was more epiphany than long process, and I use Scripture to support each lesson.

I had to stop dozens of times while writing Chuck's Dog because I was crying too hard to see the computer screen. Once, I picked up Hogan and hugged him through my tears and sobs. He licked my face, something Duke might have done to me 10-times in his life.
Clockwise from top left. First hat. On the old backyard steps at our house. With a chew toy--Duke's Godzilla teeth destroyed heady-duty Kongs in 3 months! At Crown Point. Rolling on the new artificial turf while it's warming in the driveway before installation. Sunning on the new steps in our backyard. Center: Chuck and Chuck's Dog taking a nap, which we both liked immensely! I still nap . . . bbut it's lonely without my dog .
I think Hogan misses Duke off and on.
I know that I miss Duke all the time. Because
I'm Chuck, and Duke was Chuck’s dog.

Spiritual Lessons I Learned from My Dog - Prolog

Some of you won’t even open this blog post because of the title.

Wait! You did open it.

Edited first line:
Some people of you won’t even open this blog post because of the title. My goal is to make this post relevant, even compelling. There is nothing in this post that lowers the majesty of God, nothing that raises dogs about their appointed place, nothing that implies dogs are better than people.

Since you’re still with me, let’s get going!

Three Spiritual Lessons I Learned from My Dog
Duke was my dog. He died in November of this year (2017). He was the best dog I ever owned, although owned isn’t how I saw the relationship.

Duke was a constant. A given stimulus generated the same response every time. Looking back at the relationship of nearly 11-years, it dawned on me that I could be a better follower of Christ if I applied three specific actions of Duke to my spiritual journey.

1. Join a Pack
Every one of us is part of a pack when we’re born. Depending on your theological bent, you may not be accountable for which pack you follow until you reach what is known as the age of accountability in some circles.

Whether you subscribe to that or not, at some point in time everyone must choose to follow God or to follow Satan. Roman’s 3:23 is the least wordy of the 52 verses that point out the universality of sin.
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

That’s a straightforward statement by Paul, the greatest theologian of the New Testament era.

Dogs are looking for a pack to join. Descended from wolves, pack behavior is instinctual. After floods or earthquakes, domesticated dogs that are not returned to their owners form packs.

The alpha dog achieves that rank by demonstrating toughness. Dogfights may occur, but the Leader of the Pack is rarely challenged. Dogs that lose a fight with the leader are forced out of the pack.

All humanity has been separated from our home by sin. Everyone is looking for a pack, whether they call what they are doing that or not. Pack behavior is inherent in dogs . . . Humans as well. Romans 12:2 makes it plain that there is a choice—conformity to God’s will.
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

There are only two packs to choose from. Satan’s pack is deceivingly enticing. God’s pack provides infinitely more.

2. Drink When You’re Thirsty
Duke was a great drinker of water. Drinking water was a full-on attack by his tongue on the defenseless H2O molecules in his dish. There was no doubt that he was drinking and no doubt after which dog of our two dogs had been drinking. After Duke drank, usually for at least 20-seconds, the ground around the water dish was wet, not damp.

In Isaiah 55:1, the prophet relates God’s offer of water whenever you are thirsty.
Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters

In John 7:36-38 [Alternate ending], Jesus
On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me. And let anyone drink 38 who believes in me.” As Scripture has said, “Out of him (or them) will flow rivers of living water.”

Jesus is talking with a Samaritan woman in the fourth chapter of John. He offers her living water. She doesn’t understand and asks what’s so special about the living water. Jesus replies in John 4:13-14.
Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

The final chapter of the Bible, Revelation 22:17 speaks of living water offered by God to the thirsty.
The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.


3. Eat What You’re Given
The trainer I took Duke to for obedience lessons said, “If it takes your dog more than one minute to eat the food you put down, you’ve put down too much food.”

That was never a problem for Duke. He ate whatever we put in his dish. In Duke's world, dish = food. He ate fast and furiously, no matter what I put into his dish. Getting him to take pills and supplements was rarely a problem because whatever was in the food dish was for him. The crowds ate what they were given.

The Israelites ate manna, specialized nourishing wafers that appeared daily from the hand of God. Ground, mashed, or boiled manna was the first miracle food. Manna and quail are the only foods guaranteed by God for the entire forty-years the Hebrews wandered in the desert. The Hebrews ate what they were given.

Crowds of listeners ate fish and bread that Christ gave them. The disciples ate unleavened bread and drank wine at the last Passover supper because Christ gave it to them. The disciples ate what they were given.

In John 6:32-35, Jesus explains that in the Kingdom of God, He is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
Jesus goes on to explain, whoever comes to me will never go hungry.”
Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
“Sir,” they said, “always give us this bread.”
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.”

The bread Jesus offers is available in the Bible. Truth, direction, and inspiration are there in overflowing amounts.

My dog knows enough to eat what he’s given when he’s hungry. Read some Scripture every day; that’s God’s fuel for your soul.

What’s the bottom line here?

Follow my dog’s example.
Choose to follow Jesus . . . [Join God’s pack.]

Drink the living water of salvation . . . [It will permanently quench your thirst for meaning.]

Eat the spiritual food God provides . . . [through Scripture, preaching, and teaching of Godly principles.]


Rest in peace, Duke.
May the peace of Christ be on all my readers!

SEO: Bible study, New Testament, thinking, knowing God


Follow me on 
Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor

My website is: www.crdowning.com

My Blogs
Life as I see itTopics rotate between those of general interest to lovers of life,  authors, teachers—probably you, too.  Posts on Tuesdays and some Mondays.  http://crdowning-author.blogspot.com/?alt=rss
My Christian Context.Posts M/W of discussion questions. Thursdays - Timeless Truths. Fridays - Expressions of Faith. https://mychristiancontext.blogspot.com/ 
I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

  1. Amazing analogy. I wonder if I can find points like this for my cat Zachary? He was my "Duke".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts