Thoughts on Questions from Hebrews Ch 13 on 5/6


HEBREWS STUDY QUESTIONS


This is some of the discussion on the questions posted on Monday.

Chapter 12
Vv 14-29

What good thing is implied in v1?
The brothers and sisters are already showing love for one another.

Give two examples of what’s described in v2.
Modern Examples
Group dynamics between services at Mission Church of the Nazarene.
Humans don't know who is an angel and who isn't.
Bible Examples
Abraham and the three angels before Sodom/Gomorrah are destroyed. Lot helping the two angels in Sodom. (Genesis 12)
Angels visit Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, Zacharia, shepherds before the birth of Jesus. (Matthew 1, Luke 1-2)
Peter is visited by an angel in prison. (Matthew 25)
The Good Samaritan acted like an angel might act. (Luke 10)

V3 is hard to accept. How can we do what it says? Are we?
There is a lot of "today" in the verse.
Show compassion. 
Sometimes.
Comment on v4
Genesis 2:24, Proverbs 5:18-19, and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 are examples of the consequences of immoral behavior.

V5 presents to instructions and one promise. 
We are promised that God won't leave or forsake us.
Instructions. 
Don't love money. 
Be content.
How/Why are they linked?
Money can make you discontent.
God is all we need.

The same word for content in this verse is used in 2 Corinthians 12:9 where contentment is implied.
9 He [The LORD] has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me.


There are three sentences in v6. What does each symbolize?
This is quoting Psalm 118:6-7.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
There was unanimous agreement that the three sentence requirement was bogus.
The ✡ in the text above indicates a quote from the Old Testament in this translation.
"will not" in the quote from Psalms translates are "never/by no means" in Greek.

We Got This Far This Week

There is only one chapter left in Hebrews. We'll be starting Acts after we finish Hebrews 13.
That will probably be the last Sunday in May. 
I'll post the questions and discussion for Acts. 

If you'd like a PDF of the pages of questions in table form with room for you to write answers, email me at 
chuckdowning4@gmail.com 

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com

I'd appreciate your feedback as a comment on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts