Timeless Truths. Doubters Allowed? Got Questions series finale.


Doubt is from the same root as double.
All who seriously contemplate faith doubt at some time.


Doubts prevent spiritual growth. 
Doubt keeps us from taking risks for God's Kingdom.


Doubt is part of the human experience.

Doubt is NOT the opposite of faith. 
Unbelief is the opposite of faith.


How do we deal with doubt?
"If faith never encounters doubt, if truth never struggles with error, if good never battles with evil, how can faith know its own power? If I have to choose between a faith that has stared doubt in the eye and made it blink or a naive faith that has never know the firing line of faith, I will choose the former every time."
The Gift of Doubt by Gary Parker

Times of Doubt . . .
1) . . . can make us or break us.
"On the evening of the first day of the week, when the disciples were together with the doors locked for fear of the Jews..."
John 20:19

Times of doubt are crucial. They are critical to us.
One temptation during times of doubt is ISOLATION.
Jesus can walk through the closed doors of life.

2) . . . allow Jesus to reach us and teach us.
"...Jesus came and stood among them and said, 'Peace be with you!' After He said this, He showed them His hands and His side."
John 20:19-10
Doubters do not make good messengers.

3) . . . reveal our temperments and our temptations.
"Now Thomas, one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 'Unless I see the nail marks in His hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe it.'" 
John 19:24-25

God can handle all questions and doubts as long as we keep seeking.
Thomas proves the significance of one.
We need to read the Bible.

4) . . . offer choices to run and hide or trust and obey.
Then He said to Thomas, 'Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.' Thomas said to Him, 'My Lord and my God!'"
John 20:27-28
We don't know if Thomas ever touched the resurrected Jesus.


Believing is seeing!
"Then Jesus told him [Thomas], "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not yet seen and yet have believed.'" 
John 20:29

If it hasn't happened already, may today be the day when you become one 

"who [has] not yet seen and yet [has] believed" 

in Jesus as Lord!


Thanks to Dr. Keith Newman for the primary teachings in this post.

The next Timeless Truths is Timeless Truths. Filling the Void. My Last MVHS Baccalaureate - 1985

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com


I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts