Thoughts on Study Questions from Acts Chapter 1. 5/27

My Sunday school class/Life Group is studying the book of Acts. Monday, I posted the questions we discussed the day before. Today, I’m posting some of the comments from the class discussion.

If you’d like a PDF file of the questions, email me at crd.author@gmail.com 

I invite you back to this blog on Friday's during this study. For the next 52+ weeks, every Friday, except just before Christmas and Good Friday, I'm posting a short Expressions of Faith based on verses from Acts.


General Background
Who wrote this book? When?
Luke, a Greek medical doctor and former slave.
Best estimates are between 63-70 A.D. The early end of the range is favored by many scholars because none of the following events are mentioned.

  • Emperor Nero began persecuting Christians in 64 A.D.
  • The first Jewish/Roman was was from 66-70 A.D.
  • The Temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. 


What is the purpose of the book?
To document 

  • the acts of the apostles.
  • the spread of the church.
  • historical events.

One resource indicated that the theme was the spread of the Gospel from the Jewish to the Gentile world.

How does the author's perspective change in 16:10?
The narrative goes from third-person to first-person as Luke joins Paul on his journeys.

The KJV title for this book is “The Acts of the Apostles.” Whose acts are really reported here?
Peter, Luke, and Paul.
The apostles.
"Acts 29 is your story."
My personal answer is the acts of the Holy Spirit in the lives of Christians. (CRD)

List some major characters
Peter, John, Paul, Luke, Holy Spirit, Barnabas, Timothy, Mary and Jesus' brothers...

Look at these verses: What "section" of the book does each begin?
1:1 Introduction/Prolog. A recap of the end of Luke's Gospel. Setting the stage.
2:1 Pentecost. The coming of the Holy Spirit.

2:14 Peter takes Charge

We got this far this week. 

This Friday, my Expression of Faith is Acts Ch 1. Wait

Follow me on Twitter: @CRDowningAuthor and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CRDowningAuthor
My website is: www.crdowning.com


I'd appreciate your feedback on Blogger!

Comments

Popular Posts